- 2020-01-27 On 27 January at 10 a.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius attends the ministerial meeting
- 2020-01-28 On 28 January, the Vice-Minister Albinas Zananavičius participates in the General Affairs Council in Brussels
- 2020-01-28 On 28 January, the Political Director Raimonda Murmokaitė participates in political consultations with the Austrian delegation
- 2020-01-28 On 28 January at 3 p.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius participates in the International Holocaust Remembrance Day event
- 2020-01-29 On 29 January at 10 a.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius attends the Foreign Affairs Council
L. Linkevičius: EU needs to be more active in Gulf region
On 11 November, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Lithuania Linas Linkevičius attended the Foreign Affairs Council in Brussels. The meeting focused on regional security in the Gulf and the situation in Afghanistan.
EU foreign ministers discussed ways for the European Union to contribute to the maintenance of stability in the Gulf region, ensure free shipping in the Strait of Hormuz, and Iranian actions related to non-compliance with the nuclear deal. Lithuania’s Foreign Minister noted changes in the balance of power in the region. In this context, L. Linkevičius suggested that consideration be given to reviving the format of the European Union-Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC).
The meeting also discussed the situation in Afghanistan following the presidential election of 28 September. Foreign ministers took stock of recent developments in peace negotiations and efforts to find a lasting and negotiated political solution to the conflict.
Later, foreign ministers exchanged their views with the Prime Minister of Sudan Abdalla Hamdok over lunch.