- 2018-12-12 to 2018-12-16 On 12-16 December, the Political Director Asta Skaisgirytė is participating in meetings of the initiative of the Enhanced Partnership in Northern Europe (e-PINE) in Washington, D.C.
- 2018-12-13 On 13 December at 1.00 p.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is taking part in the Government meeting at the Seimas.
- 2018-12-13 On 13 December at 3.15 p.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is taking part in the annual conference of the Eastern Europe Studies Centre
- 2018-12-13 On 13 December, the Vice-Minister Darius Skusevičius is participating in political consultations and bilateral meetings in Uzbekistan
- 2018-12-13 On 13 December, the Vice-Minister Albinas Zananvičius, as part of a delegation led by the President of Lithuania, is attending the meeting of the European Council
Lithuania’s Foreign Minister Linkevičius stresses that Pope Francis is welcome to visit Lithuania
On 15 March, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Lithuania Linas Linkevičius took part in the General Audience to meet Pope Francis at the Vatican. Lithuania’s Foreign Minister and the CEO of Lithuania Post Lina Minderienė presented to the Pope the postage stamp issued for a joint use in Lithuania and the Vatican for the first time ever to mark the 600th anniversary of the Samogitian (Medininkai) Diocese.
Linkevičius congratulated Pope Francis on the fourth anniversary of his pontificate and wished him strength in his pastoral endeavour, spreading the message of the Divine Mercy, social responsibility, the message of peace and reconciliation, drawing the world community’s attention to the most serious problems in those days.
“The relationship between Lithuania and the Holy See has always been and will be special. We hope very much that you will have the opportunity to visit Lithuania, where you are more than welcome,” said Lithuania’s Foreign Minister.
Pope Francis said that he desired in his heart to visit Lithuania.
The joint postage stamp was released by Lithuania and the Vatican on 10 February of this year. The painter Vaclovas Butrimas designed the postage stamp that depicts images of the Grand Duke of Lithuania Vytautas the Great and the first Bishop of Samogitia Matthias of Vilnius (or of Trakai). The ruler is holding a church building as a symbol of faith and culture in his hands. In Lithuania, 200,000 copies of the postage stamp were issued, while in the Vatican it is issued in a number of 360,000 copies.