- 2018-10-15 On 15 October, the Minister Linas Linkevičius and the Political Director Asta Skaisgirytė are participating in the EU Foreign Affairs Council in Luxembourg
- 2018-10-15 On 15 October, the Vice-Minister Albinas Zananavičius is taking part in the General Affairs Council and the General Affairs (Art.50) Council in Luxembourg
- 2018-10-15 On 15 October at 3.00 p.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is taking part in the Eastern Partnership Ministerial Meeting in Luxembourg
- 2018-10-15 On 15 October, the Vice-Minister Darius Skusevičius is taking part in political consultations and bilateral meetings in Astana and Karaganda, Kazakhstan
- 2018-10-16 On 16 October at 10.00 a.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is meeting with the Vice-President of the European Commission Maroš Šefčovič in Brussels
Lithuania’s Foreign Vice-Minister meets with the new Colombian Ambassador
On 8 March, the Vice-Minister of Foreign Affairs of Lithuania Darius Skusevičius received the new Ambassador of Colombia to Lithuania Javier Darío Higuera Ángel.
“I hope that economic cooperation will only expand in the future, especially in the areas of food, machinery, pharmaceuticals, and digital economy,” said the Foreign Vice-Minister. The diplomats were pleased with bilateral trade and growing exports. In 2017, Lithuania’s exports to Colombia grew by 37.5 percent, as compared to 2016, and reached € 2.2 million.
In the meeting, Lithuania’s Foreign Vice-Minister called for signing three agreements of significance for further cooperation, including on the transfer of persons subject to a deprivation of liberty or compulsory treatment, double taxation avoidance, and working holiday program. The signing of the agreements would not only consolidate the legal framework for cooperation, but also help to promote business relations. In addition, the working holiday program would open up possibilities for young Lithuanians to get better acquainted with the Colombian cultural diversity and traditions.
The participants of the meeting also exchanged their opinions on the accession of Lithuania and Colombia to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), and discussed cooperation with the Pacific Alliance.
The Ambassador presented the Colombian initiative on sport diplomacy. It aims to integrate Colombian children and adolescents affected by armed conflict. The diplomats were pleased that Lithuania would join the initiative in late May and would receive a youth basketball team from Colombia at the beginning of June.
Javier Darío Higuera Ángel is the 6th Colombian Ambassador accredited to Lithuania, who resides in Warsaw. On 9 March, the Ambassador will present his letters of credence to the President of Lithuania Dalia Grybauskaitė.
Lithuania has not accredited its Ambassador to Colombia, but the Honorary Consul of Lithuania is carrying out his functions in Bogota. Lithuania and Colombia established their diplomatic relations on 5 August 1993.